Tuesday, 22 February 2011

21/02 Training

This week's session covered a couple of techniques from the Lichtenauer tradition that the group has never encountered before - pretty much everything that I've taught so far has an analogue in Fiore, so this was a bit of a leap of faith. I have to say that I wasn't too comfortable with them myself, but by the end of the session everyone was able to do them at least in isolation, a result that I'm pretty happy with.

The turnout was good, nine people again. However, several of them are still relative newcomers an not too comfortable all out sparring. One person is short sighted, and has trouble focusing outside of the fencing mask, so in sparring I took to inviting them to the bind and then doing a free-play almost like a speaking-window exercise, but they did very well at that. No idea about a long term solution. Perhaps the work-rate has been lagging a bit, I don't know.

A couple of people who couldn't make it let me know in advance, or gave their excuses after. Which is nice of them.

The class went pretty much according to the lesson plan, and I don't think that there's much to add. One pair were still stuck using shinai, when nylons are much better for getting the 'feel' of the bind, but there's not much that I can do about that.

Sparring went all right, but as I said, I'm a little bit concerned with slow pacing. People seemed to react well to the 'structured sparring' drill at the end, which is good. One of the other members took some footage, as I forgot to bring a camera - hopefully I'll be able to put that up in the next day or two.

Heard some news about Swords and Cider. Looks like it'll be from Friday 20th May to Sunday. I need to write up an email and send it out. Which is after my dissertation hand-in, so I should be free. Huzzah.

Need to send out an email today. Time for more writing...

No comments:

Post a Comment