Circle of Doom. Try using the whole space, and mixing in stretches like last time. Introduce Spring Right and Spring left. 10 mins.
- Ladder drill. Swords out on the floor to produce rungs. Steps, then two steps forwards, one step back. Add in circling around gloves on the way back. 7 mins.
- Then Ringen dance drills. 2 mins.
- Then Pillar of Doom. First normally, then weaving between gloves. Then weaving between gloves and against an outstretched sword. 10 mins.
- Quarters drill from last week. One person adopts a guard. The other person cuts to the open area. 2 mins.
- One person changes between the four hangers. The other person cuts to the openning as it forms. 2 mins.
- One person changes between the four hangers. The other person cuts to the openning as it forms. As they cut, the first person displaces the incoming blow. 5 mins.
Now, information time.
- Introduce the Zwerchau - the Crossed/Athwart Strike:
- One of the five master-strikes. Already covered the Zornhau (Wrathful Strike).
- Takes away that which comes from the roof.
- Single time counter.
- Essentially a change from Vom Tag to Ochs, displacing a oberhau as it cuts.
Show it being done. Discuss how you do it.
- Bring the sword in front of the body, roatating it around its centre of balance.
- Then lift up with your hands into Ochs, supporting the blade with your thumb.
- If cutting into left ochs, you should land the cut with the false edge.
- Step out to the side too.
- Hands up and infront, covering the head, even when you are changing between blows.
- With a leap it will hit the head.
- Can be used from zufechten as a vorschlag.
Get everyone to attempt it against me.
Paired drills (isolating the technique):
- Get everyone practicing it. If they look bored/able to do it. Begin to introduce responces to counters:
- You can run through and wrestle.
- Immediately follow up with a zwerchau to the other side as a durchwelschen.
- You can strike it to Ochs and to Pflug (so at the opponent's upper and lower openning).
- If they respond hard, you can duplieren behind their blade.
- If they respond hard, you can hook their wrists with your pommel as part of a schnappen.
- If they respond weak, you can schnick them to the neck.
Second to Last Paired Drill:
Two people begin in distance in Vom Tag. Only cuts allowed are Zwerchau, Zornhau and a thrust. No stepping back. Closely supervise it. (Get Johann to supervise a second pair?) 10 mins.
Last Paired Drill (Incorporate the Technique):
Both people start out of distance in Vom Tag. Only cuts allowed: Zornhau, Zwerchau. No steps backwards. Closely supervise it (Get Johann to supervise a second pair?) 15 mins.
There's the lesson plan. I might be able to get a video camera if I go up to campus soon. Failing that, it should hopefully be a decent mix of a new technique and drills. Thoughts?