Tuesday, 5 April 2011

Something a bit wierd from Jorg Wilhalm

Jörg Wilhalm was a hatter in C16th Ausberg, and a bit of a mad one at that - everyone loves the pretzel seller hanging around in CGM 3711:




But personally I find CGM 3712 more interesting - the sketches of the fighters are simply beautiful in places, although apparently it was a copy made in 1556 - I don't know, I'm relying on wiktenhauer here because my Renaissance era German sucks. What it does have is an unlabelled section on sword and buckler fencing. What's so interesting in it, to me at least, is that the clothes of the fencers keeps changing. To begin with they're wearing skirts:
[Edit, apparently there were armoured skirts called 'tonlets', fashionable for blokes in the early C16th - http://www.royalarmouries.org/visit-us/leeds/leeds-galleries/tournament-gallery/henry-viii/tonlet-armour Some resemblance?]
and then they're wearing puff and slash:




and for the last section they are wearing hooded cloaks, with one fencer always wearing the hood up:


Now, I'm no expert on changes in fashion, but to me they certainly don't look to be wearing C16th guard - in fact it looks medieval. Now, somewhere before I saw pictures of two people fencing with swords and bucklers, wearing cloaks, one of whom is always wearing one with a hood up. Where was it again? Oh, I.33, a German manual from around 1300ish:
The top pair look really similar, don't they? Which would be awesome - it could simply be a trace. Didn't PHM or someone once see a copy of I.33? Except for the fact that Jorg Wilhelm contains all kinds of wierd stuff not seen in I.33, including changes of perspective:
So can anyone shed some light onto what's going on here?

2 comments:

  1. To my eye that first image could represent a "waffenrock" or similar garment
    (http://research.fibergeek.com/img/Landsknecht_Artillery-4.jpg)...appropriate for the time period. But, those others (3&5) absolutely scream 14th century to me (http://visualiseur.bnf.fr/ConsulterElementNum?O=IFN-8100139&E=JPEG&Deb=28&Fin=28&Param=C).

    ReplyDelete
  2. This may be sketches done for the Paulus Hector Mair books later on. We can asume safely that Paulus Hector Mair was a collector of fencing books through the century and he had a copy of the I33. You find more of that kind in the book niversitätsbibliothek Augsburg. Cod.I.6.2.4., 1510 Anonym, Libr. pict. A83 and in the PHM works.

    ReplyDelete